A fire engulfed a residence in San Carlos Friday night, authorities confirmed.
Fire officials said the flames began at a single-family home on the 6800 block of Town View Lane around 10:20 p.m.
San Diego Fire Rescue, Heartland Fire Department and San Diego Police responded. Officials said the house was engulfed in flames by the time crews arrived.
The fire began in the garage and extended into the attic and interior of the home, officials said.
Neighbors said they heard people screaming from the home to call 911. When neighbors went outside, they said they saw the owners trying to put out the fire with a water hose.
Neighbor Mitch Wilson tried to help, but said the flames were intense and spread quickly.
“You're trying to figure out `what can I do?’ They're trying to figure out what can they do. Your adrenaline is just pumping. You watch trying to respond and all you can do is wait for the firemen to come, it was too late,” Wilson told NBC 7 San Diego at the scene.
By 10:40 p.m., crews had knocked down the fire.
Two people inside the home during the fire were able to make it out safely with one of their cats. A firefighter later rescued a second pet cat from the home.
Police provided traffic control in the area as fire crews worked.
On Saturday morning officials confirmed the cause of the fire was a dryer vent clogged with lint. Damages to the home are estimated at $300,000. Red Cross has been requested to assist the two adults living at the home.