FBI Agents Play Blame Game: Report

Who found which e-mails and when did they share them is at question

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    The 2007 picture provided by the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences shows Nidal Malik Hasan when he entered the program for his Disaster and Military Psychiatry Fellowship.

    The alleged Fort Hood shooter traded e-mails with a radical Muslim leader for months before the Nov. 5 shooting on the army base. Thirteen people died in the shooting, a San Diego U.S. Army Reservist.

    Now, according to published reports, an investigation will look into when those emails were uncovered and who was responsible for alerting the military.

    Muslim leader, Anwar al-Aulaqi praised the actions of Nidal Malik Hasan immediately after the deadly shootings at Fort Hood.

    Al-Aulaqi now lives in Yemen. But earned his master's degree at San Diego State and served as an imam at this La Mesa Islamic Center, where two hijackers involved in the September 11th attacks used to pray.

    Early this year, Hasan sent an email to Al-Aulaqi. Law enforcement officials said the email was general, asking about the role of Muslim soldiers and was not considered threatening.

    The army was notified, but no action was taken against Hasan.

    However, this weekend the Washington post reported more e-mails were uncovered but not turned over to military officials.

    The e-mails were obtained by an FBI-led task force in San Diego between late last year and June the Washington Post reported citing government and congressional sources.

    What has unfolded is a blame game within the FBI pitting the San Diego office against Washington D.C., reports Kelly Thornton with our media partner voiceofsandiego.org.

    FBI agents based in San Diego intercepted close to 20 emails between Hasan and al-Aulaqi, but voiceofsandiego.org reports those emails were shared with counterparts in Washington, D.C.

    "Everything was fully communicated to the Washington field office, they had computer access to everything San Diego had," a law enforcement source told the online news site. "It was received and [Washington] said they didn't think it was an issue."

    Thirteen people died in the Fort Hood shooting rampage including San Diegan Capt. John Gaffaney who was at the base preparing for his deployment with the U.S. Army Reserves.

    Read more in the full article on voiceofsandiego.org.