Health officials are investigating what prompted close to five dozen people to get sick after a banquet at a local restaurant last week.
Sixty-one cases of food poisoning were reported out of 170 people attending a banquet at the Bali Hai on Wednesday, July 29.
The event was held by the local chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
San Diego SPJ President Matt Hall updated the group’s membership about the incident via email Sunday.
Hall said some of those affected went to the hospital for treatment. One person was transported Saturday by paramedics, he said, though a number of people who were sick reported mild symptoms.
No details were given on the individual’s condition.
Health officials said Monday that initial reports are consistent with a norovirus outbreak, though they're still waiting on lab results to confirm an official cause.
The Bali Hai, in an abundance of caution, has thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the restaurant. Officials say there should be no concern about eating there.
Symptoms of a foodborne illness include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.
San Diego County Department of Environmental Health is asking the banquet attendees to fill out a questionnaire in an effort to isolate what may have caused the illness.
Several employees of NBC 7 attended the dinner.
Bali Hai Restaurant offers Polynesian cuisine and is a popular wedding and banquet venue located on Shelter Island Drive.