The California Department of Education (CDE) has just announced its annual list of California Distinguished Schools and many schools in San Diego made the cut.
A total of 19 local high schools, middle schools and specialty schools rank among the 218 schools recognized by the CDE’s 2013 California Distinguished School Awards Program.
According to the CDE, the schools are chosen based on academic performance and closing the “achievement gap” among student subgroups.
The California Distinguished School Award honors schools that have demonstrated educational excellence for all students, regardless of their background.
In San Diego County, the following middle, high and specialty schools made the 2013 list of Distinguished Schools:
• Classical Academy (Escondido)
• Granite Hills High School (El Cajon)
• Grossmont High School (El Cajon)
• Eastlake High School (Chula Vista)
• Valley Center High School (Chula Vista)
• Del Norte High School (4S Ranch)
• Health Sciences High School (San Diego)
• Kearny International Business School (San Diego)
• EJE Middle Academy (El Cajon)
• Parkway Middle School (La Mesa)
• Aviara Oaks Middle School (Carlsbad)
• Olive Pierce Middle School (Ramona)
• Carmel Valley Middle School (San Diego)
• Bonita Vista Middle School (Chula Vista)
• Eastlake Middle School (Chula Vista)
• Earl Warren Middle School (Solana Beach)
• Mount Everest Academy (San Diego)
• Guajome Park Academy (Vista)
• School for Integrated Academics and Technology (Vista)
This year, middle and high schools were recognized. Elementary schools are recognized during alternate years.
Each school will be presented with a 2013 Distinguished School plaque and flag, according to the CDE.
For more information about the California Distinguished School Awards Program, visit this website.