The following content is created in consultation with the USS Midway Museum. It does not reflect the work or opinions of NBC San Diego's editorial staff. To learn more about the USS Midway Museum, visit midway.org.
There's no better way to kickoff your summer than by celebrating Memorial Day Weekend aboard the USS Midway Museum, the longest-serving Navy aircraft carrier of the 20th century.
The USS Midway Museum is always the heart and soul of Memorial Day celebration in San Diego, and this year it's pullung out all the stops for Legacy Week. Expect the deck to be packed with inspiring events and fun activities that honor and remember our heroes as we celebrate our military heritage.
From classic rock concerts featuring former members of Journey and Boston to vintage aircraft flyovers to meet and greets with legendary Navy pilots, there's something for every member of your family to enjoy. Let's take a closer look at the weekend highlights.
- Veterans Wreath Ceremony, May 24 at 9 a.m.: An inspirational ceremony for the entire family including fly overs, special guest speakers and wreath laying
- Discovery Zone, May 24-26: Fun for kids and adults including photo opportunities, contests, interactive displays, local community booths, military uniforms, equipment, etc.
- American Freedom Festival May 24: World Class Rockers (WCR) will perform live on the flight deck. This all-star lineup--including former band members from Santana, Journey, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Steppenwolf--will play all of your favorite hits at this annual benefit concert.
- US Navy Band Live, May 25 at 1 p.m.: Concert on the flight deck
- San Diego Blood Bank Drive, May 26 10 a.m.-4p.m.: Donate and get free admission to the museum.
- Meet the Aviators and aircraft they flew, May 25-26: Listen firsthand from pilots that flew the planes that are on the Midway.
- Memorial Day Ceremony and vintage aircraft fly by, May 26 at 1p.m. Includes a children’s song performance, a fly by, and guest speakers.
For more information and to purchase tickets to select events, visit midway.org.