Hugh Grant Seeks Big Damages for Phone-Hacking

Actor files a legal claim asking for a big payout against News of the World.

By Josh Grossberg
|  Friday, Sep 14, 2012  |  Updated 11:30 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Star-Spotting on Fashion Week's Front Rows

WireImage

Actor Hugh Grant filed petition seeking damages against the now defunct New of the World for phone hacking.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Hugh Grant's taking some extreme legal measures against Rupert Murdoch's minions.

The British actor filed a petition on Thursday in London's high court seeking damages against Murdoch-owned News International for the massive phone-hacking scandal in which he and celebrities like Sienna Miler, Steve Coogan and J.K. Rowling were targets.

Per the U.K.'s The Guardian, Grant's filing came a day before a court-imposed deadline for victims to file further claims in the case, and about 100 new ones are expected.

Hugh Grant's awfully big phone-hacking victory

The "Love Actually" star serves as a spokesman for the antihacking lobby group Hacked Off and has been one of the most vocal proponents of a hacking inquiry. In an April 2011 essay in the New Statesman, he helped expose the scope of the privacy invasions by the paparazzi by detailing how a former editor for News of the World, a subsidiary of News International, told him the various methods employees of the paper used to tap his cell phone and that of other public figures.

In July 2011, Grant won a legal victory after a court ordered Scotland Yard to turn over to him evidence it had regarding a private investigator working for the now-shuttered NOTW who had hacked into his voicemail.

The 52-year-old star's civil action is one of 240 new claims against Murdoch's media empire. Twenty-five people have been arrested in the scandal, the most notable of which was ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks.

Sienna Miller gets revenge in phone-tapping scandal

Grant said that whatever money he was awarded over the phone-tapping would go to help other victims of the press intrusion.

Some victims have already won big damages from the tabloid. Last year, Miller received a $162,000 judgment in her favor against News of the World, which subsequently issued a public apology, while singer Charlotte Church scored a $950,000 payout.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out