MIAMI, FL - OCTOBER 21: Actor Matt Damon watches the New England Patriots warmup before play against the Miami Dolphins at Dolphin Stadium on October 21, 2007 in Miami, Florida. The Pats won 49 - 28. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
Well, this can’t be encouraging news. Last month, it was reported that director Paul Greengrass, who helmed the too most recent installments of the "Bourne" movie franchise, had dropped out of making a fourth Bourne film. Now Empire Magazine has gotten this quote from Jason Bourne himself, newly minted Best Supporting Actor nominee Matt Damon:
“There’ll probably be a prequel of some kind with another actor and another director before we do another one,” he said, “just because I think we’re probably another five years away from doing it – we’ve got to get a script…”
Nightmare flashbacks to “Dumb And Dumberer” are currently dancing around in my head. My hope is that Damon said what he said strictly as a bargaining posture, because it’s darn near impossible to imagine a "Bourne" movie without Damon assuming the titular role, such was the awesomeness of both his performances in the role and the films that resulted.
The "Bourne" films are now entering the same kind of creative limbo that is affecting the "Spider-Man" franchise, with a studio seemingly prepared to start from scratch despite already having a successful formula already in place (even more so for the "Bourne" series).
There should, undoubtedly, be a fourth Bourne movie. But it should star Damon and be directed by someone who shares the intense sense of immediacy that Greengrass and original director Doug Liman brought to the franchise.
There will be a day when Damon is either too old or too worn out to play Bourne again, but that time has yet to arrive. It isn’t yet time to find his Roger Moore. Maybe a decade from now.
Here’s hoping Damon’s proven wrong, and we get the fourth "Bourne" movie we so desperately want.