The Southern California facility that became the site of a massacre last week is delaying plans to reopen as new questions arise as to whether the gunmen had help from another person or group.
Officials had hoped the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino would reopen next week, but spokeswoman Leeza Hoyt said Tuesday the facility — where a husband and wife gunned down 14 people and wounded 21 others last Wednesday — won't reopen until January at the earliest.
Law enforcement hasn't yet handed over control of the crime scene, after which the center will have to clean up. Investigators have said Syed Rizwan Farook, a restaurant inspector for San Bernardino County's health department, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, opened fire on Farook's co-workers at a holiday party there.
Authorities are investigating the attack as an act of terrorism. ISIS has said Farook and Malik were followers of the group.
There has been no evidence to indicate the couple was part of a broader network, but investigators are seeking out any possible associates who may have helped make the attack possible, NBC News reported.
In particular, authorities are examining a $28,000 deposit made to Farook's bank account in the weeks prior to the attack, along with cellphone data and electronic records. It's unclear who deposited the funds.
Officials have said the couple was in touch with people in the Los Angeles area who expressed extremist views and may have communicated with others in San Diego, the Midwest and overseas, according to NBC News.
Meanwhile, Hoyt said caseworkers with the Inland Regional Center are still doing field work. Employees help residents with disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy and epilepsy find jobs, housing and transportation.
The center wants to set up administrative offices off site so employees and vendors will continue to be paid.
Ari Mason contributed to this report.