Pipe Bombs Defendant Faces 30-Count Indictment - NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Pipe Bombs Defendant Faces 30-Count Indictment

Authorities said Cesar Sayoc sent improvised explosive devices to numerous Democrats, critics of Trump and CNN

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chargers Make Unexpected Kicking Change
    Broward Sheriff's Office
    Cesar Sayoc Jr., in an undated mug shot from the Broward Sheriff's Office.

    The Florida man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump was indicted Friday on charges carrying a potential penalty of life in prison.

    The 30-count indictment against Cesar Sayoc was handed up in Manhattan federal court, where Sayoc made an initial appearance earlier this week after he was brought to New York.

    Sayoc, 56, was arrested Oct. 26 in Florida on five charges carrying a potential sentence upon conviction of nearly 50 years.

    Authorities said he sent improvised explosive devices to numerous Democrats, critics of Trump and CNN. The scare heightened tensions before the crucial midterm elections, but he was arrested within days.

    Prosecutors followed through on a promise to upgrade the charges with an indictment that led with five counts alleging use of a weapon of mass destruction. The document said he mailed 16 improvised explosive devices through the U.S. mail to victims across the country.

    The charges said he aimed to "kill, injure and intimidate an individual and unlawfully to damage and destroy a building, vehicle, and other real and person property."

    None of the devices — some of which arrived at New York addresses — exploded.

    A message left with Sayoc's lawyer was not immediately returned.

    Sayoc appeared in New York earlier this week. He was held without bail. Sayoc had been arrested outside a South Florida auto parts store. He had been living in a van covered with stickers of Trump and showing images of some Trump opponents with crosshairs over their faces.

    In the indictment, prosecutors noted that an improvised explosive mailed to former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in Chappaqua, New York, contained a picture of Clinton and members of her family marked with a red "X."

    Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Lot Overnight

    [NATL] Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Wisconsin Lot Overnight

    A 4-year-old girl was left alone inside a minivan overnight in a Milwaukee tow lot, authorities said. An impaired driver was pulled over and arrested for operating while intoxicated. Officers removed a 10-month-old child from the vehicle but left the 4-year-old girl, who spent the night in the tow lot where temperatures dropped to 19 degrees.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    The indictment said others targeted by the mailings also received similarly marked pictures of themselves along with the explosives.

    Others targeted by the mailings included former President Barack Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, California Sen. Kamala Harris and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker. Packages were also mailed to CNN in New York and Atlanta.

    Prosecutors say evidence against Sayoc includes DNA linking him to 10 of the explosive devices and fingerprints on two of them.

    The case was randomly assigned to U.S. District Judge Jed S. Rakoff. It was not immediately announced when Sayoc will be arraigned. At that time, he will enter a plea to the charges.