Blood trail led police to man who stabbed neighbor 40 to 50 times in East Village: Prosecutors

NBC Universal, Inc.

The man stabbed to death in an East Village apartment complex last week was identified Monday by San Diego police a couple of hours before the suspect in his killing appeared in court for his arraignment.

The victim has been identified as Andrew Phillip Holland, 38, of San Diego, SDPD, Lt. Adam Sharki said in a release.

Police were called to Holland's apartment complex on 14th Street between G and Market streets when Holland was found dead by his roommate with multiple stab wounds to his head and torso, according to SDPD Lt. Steven Shelbloski.

Shelbloski said a woman had drawn officers' attention by throwing things off her balcony or out of her window, and told them her boyfriend was acting erratically and violently. The boyfriend was identified by police last Thursday as 25-year-old Maxwell Thomas Logan. Logan had blood on him, plus injuries that investigators said "were consistent with being in some type of confrontation where a cutting or stabbing object was used," police said in a statement issued last week.

A 38-year-old man was found in his apartment with multiple stab wounds. NBC 7's Nicole Gomez has the latest.

At Logan's arraignment, prosecutors said he stabbed Holland 40 to 50 times and left what appeared to be a blood trail leading back to his own apartment on a different floor.

“He saw the victim in the kitchen area looking at mail and proceeded to attack him with a knife stabbing him 40 to 50 times,” San Diego Deputy District Attorney Miriam Hurtado said.

Before police arrived, Logan had forced his girlfriend into a bedroom and wouldn't let her leave, according to prosecutors.

Immediately after the incident, police didn't believe Logan and Holland were familiar with each other and no connection was revealed at Logan's arraignment.

The night before Hollan'ds death, 911 operators received at least two calls about a man matching Logan's description. In one incident, a woman reported the man "lurking," while the other caller said she was assaulted by a man.

Investigators thought there may have been other incidents in the nearby area and asked the public to come forward with any information.

Logan remains in custody and is due back in court Sep. 26. He faces first-degree murder and false imprisonment charges and could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Contact Us