A smoldering electric fan caused an elementary school in Paradise Hills to evacuate, a fire official said.
Students at Paradise Hills Elementary School was evacuated around noon after people reported smelling and seeing smoke on campus, San Diego Unified School District spokeswoman Maureen Magee said.
There was no fire and students were evacuated as a precaution, she said.
The school had a scheduled half day Thursday and students were dismissed at the scheduled time, 12:30 p.m. Magee said.
Firefighters determined an electrical problem with the fan caused the smoke, SDFD spokeswoman Monica Munoz said.