A fire sparked in a compost pile outside of a San Diego home Monday and spread to the structure, a San Diego Fire-Rescue battalion chief said.
The fire was reported just after 7 a.m. at the home on Abbots Hill Road in the neighborhood west of Interstate 805 and east of State Route 163.
“The resident had a compost pile that spontaneously combusted,” said San Diego Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Dave Seneviratne.
Reports of smoke showing in the sky alerted San Diego police to the fire.
“We saw a column of smoke from about three or four miles away," Seneviratne confirmed.
Firefighters stayed until all embers were out and the homeowner was able to reenter the home.