Dr. Beach is out with his top ten beaches in America and San Diego gets the nod!
Topping the list is Hawaii's Hanalei Bay. The crescent-shaped beach on Kauai is number one on this year's list of the top ten beaches in the U.S.
The list is prepared by "Dr Beach" -- Stephen Leatherman, who directs Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research.
Leatherman says Hanalei's sheer beauty is "breathtaking" -- with its emerald mountains, white sand and blue water.
Coronado Beach in San Diego is ranked number four followed by Hamoa Beach in Maui, Hawaii.
Rounding out the top ten:
- Main Beach in East Hampton, N.Y.
- Cape Hatteras in Outer Banks, N.C.
- Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne, Fla.
- Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod, Mass.;
- Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, S.C.
Leatherman uses 50 criteria, including water quality and temperature, cleanliness, weather, sand, safety and facilities