Fans of shiny, incredibly valuable objects will be in luck on Friday, when the Gemological Institute of America opens its doors to the public for a free, eye-popping show. The annual GIA Career Fair and Open House starts at 8:30 a.m. and runs though 2:30 p.m. at the institute, which is at 5345 Armada Drive in Carlsbad.
Among the highlights this year:
- Carrera y Carrera jewelry worn by pop tart Katy Perry and Kristin Cavallari, from MTV's "The Hills"
- An emerald and gold crucifix, and rosary recoverd from the sunken Spanish galleon "Atocha," which went down off Florida in 1622
- The Golden Treasures by Akelo collection
- A handcrafted replica of the Star of Victoria Fantasy Bra
- 1,000-plus gems and minerals
The event is also a job fair; organizers say that they have 250 jobs available with 28 recriters.