UK Police Seeking Missing London Bridge Attack Victim Find Body in River | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

UK Police Seeking Missing London Bridge Attack Victim Find Body in River

Xavier Thomas would be the eighth person killed in the vehicle and knife attack

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    British Prime Minister Theresa May responds to the terror attacks in London that killed at least seven people.

    (Published Sunday, June 4, 2017)

    French President Emmanuel Macron said Wednesday that a third French victim has been identified among those killed in the London Bridge van-and-stabbing attack in London. 

    He did not identify the victim, but British police recovered a body Tuesday downstream the River Thames from the bridge. The next of kin of 45-year-old Xavier Thomas were informed. 

    "We are paying a heavy cost in these attacks," Macron said. 

    If confirmed, Thomas would be the eighth person killed in the vehicle and knife attack. Almost 50 were wounded. 

    Trump Addresses London Bridge Attack at Ford's Theater

    [NATL] Trump Addresses London Bridge Attack at Ford's Theater

    Speaking at a fundraiser for Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C., President Donald Trump said he will do whatever is necessary to stop the threat of terrorism from spreading to America.

    (Published Sunday, June 4, 2017)

    Thomas was walking with his girlfriend over the bridge when the attack began on Saturday night. 

    Police said earlier that witness accounts suggested he might have been thrown into the river. Thomas' girlfriend was struck and seriously injured by the van. 

    Police early Wednesday arrested a 30-year-old man in east London in connection to the attack and are searching his home. 

    Two men are now in custody on suspicion of violating the Terrorism Act. They have not been identified or charged. All others who had been arrested have been released without facing charges. 

    Police killed all three attackers. 

    At least two of the men were known to British intelligence and law-enforcement officials, raising questions about whether anything could have been done to prevent the assault. 

    Man Flees London Attack, Holding (and Not Spilling) His Beer

    [NATL] Man Flees London Attack, Holding (and Not Spilling) His Beer

    People in the U.K. have responded to the deadly London Bridge attack with sorrow and distinctly British humor, hailing a man pictured walking away from the mayhem holding a pint of beer as a tongue-in-cheek symbol of defiance.

    Television footage of crowds running away from the attack that killed seven includes a man in a red top walking slowly with a mostly full beer in his hand.

    A picture of the man was posted on Twitter by Howard Mannella, who tweeted: "People fleeing #LondonBridge but the bloke on the right isn't spilling a drop. God Bless the Brits!" The comment received more than 25,000 retweets.

    Some joked on social media about London's notoriously high prices. Twitter user Andrew Brooks joked: "Evacuate? Well, OK. But this beer cost £6 a pint. I'm taking it with me."

    Others mocked US newspaper headlines claiming London was "reeling" or "under siege."

     

    (Published Monday, June 5, 2017)

    Police have named the attackers as Khurum Butt, 27, who had been known for his extremist views; 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, also known as Rachid Elkhdar; and Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Italian national of Moroccan descent who was reportedly working in a London restaurant. 

    Italian authorities said Zaghba had been stopped and questioned in Italy but had not been charged with any crime. Italian officials said suspicions about him had been shared with British authorities. 

    Italian news reports say the London Bridge attacker who had been stopped in Italy en route to Syria last year was subsequently listed in the European-wide intelligence-sharing system and was stopped at London's Stansted airport in January but let go. 

    Citing intelligence sources, Italian dailies Corriere della Sera and La Repubblica said Zaghba was met at the Bologna airport by Italian intelligence agents each time he arrived in Italy to visit his mother after his initial run-in with Bologna airport authorities on March 15, 2016. 

    Then, his passport and cellphone were sequestered after he tried to board a flight for Turkey with a one-way ticket and a small backpack. But he successfully got them back after a court determined there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him. 

    After that incident, Italian authorities entered his information in SIS — the Schengen Information System — a network that allows Schengen countries to enter and consult intelligence about people wanted or missing, the papers said. Repubblica said when he landed in January at Stansted after a 10-day visit in Bologna, his name was verified in the SIS system but he was allowed to go. 

    Tiger In Crimean Safari Park Gives Birth To 3 Cubs

    [NATL] Tiger In Crimean Safari Park Gives Birth To 3 Cubs

    Three Amur tiger cubs have been born at a Crimean safari park. The trio and their mother are doing well, according to park workers. The cubs were born on June 25 at Taigan Park in Belogorsk, which is home to around 50 tigers and lions.

    Amur tigers are an endangered subspecies - once found across Russia's Far East but driven to the brink of extinction by the 1940s.

    (Published 16 minutes ago)

    Corriere said Zaghba had been radicalized by Khuram Butt, considered the head of the cell. They worked in the same restaurant: Kentucky Fried Chicken in London's East Ham area. 

    Butt was the office manager according to a statement from Auriga Holdings, the holding company. The company did not immediately respond to Associated Press requests for more information. 

    London officials said a large part of the outer cordon of the crime scene had reopened. Borough Market, a popular gathering place, remains closed as more evidence is gathered. 

    The attack, and prior attacks in Manchester and near Parliament in London, have prompted Prime Minister Theresa May to call for tougher counterterrorism laws even if it means changing human rights protections. 

    Reaction to the attack has dominated the final days of campaigning before Thursday's general election, with opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn and others criticizing May for cutting police numbers by roughly 20,000 during her tenure as home secretary. 

    In the Saturday night rampage, the attackers first drove a rented van into a crowd and then jumped out and randomly stabbed people they encountered.  

    Sanders Vs. Reporters Over Latest Fake News Tirade

    [NATL] Sanders Argues With Reporters Over Latest Fake News Tirade

    White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders displayed the administrations's antagonism against the media in heated exchanges with members of the White House press corp during the daily press briefing on Tuesday, June 27, 2017. Sanders pointed to a retracted CNN story as basis of the White House's "frustration" and skepticism with ongoing coverage, while one reporter accused the White House of "inflammatory rhetoric."

    (Published Tuesday, June 27, 2017)