An Oceanside high school is safe after a small electrical fire on Saturday. A teacher at El Camino High School arrived at his classroom at 7 a.m. to discover smoke pouring out of the room, firefighters said.
The fire was contained to wiring under the modular building, Oceanside Fire Battalion Chief Rob Dunham said. Firefighters found six or seven hot spots smoldering under the building.
The building was probably 20 to 30 minutes away from completely catching on fire, Dunham said. Firefighters were able to quickly cut power to the building and douse the small flames. Dunham estimates the fire was smoldering for eight to 12 hours.
Investigators suspect the fire started from an underground power conduit. A school maintenance worker traced the conduit to a fence 60 feet away. The fence had become electrified by the wires and caused droppings from a pine tree to burn.
Dunham estimates the fire caused about $5000 in damage. The portable building holds two classrooms filled with computers.