Moments after firefighters responded to the call of an apartment fire on Magnolia Avenue in Pacific Beach early Friday, the crews could be seen wrapping their gear up with some type of protective covering.
The reason? Firefighters said they were concerned about the number of bed bugs the crews spotted inside the apartment.
The fire began just after 7 a.m. at the apartment complex at 2671 Magnolia Avenue.
Two people living inside the corner unit managed to get out before firefighters arrived.
There was heavy smoke from the unit according to Battalion Chief John Strock and crews were able to knock down the fire quickly.
One person was transported to a nearby hospital. Officials could not identify the victim or provide details on the person's condition.
Firefighters are constantly trying to prevent the spread of bed bugs, taking precaution on where they set down equipment and how they clean equipment after calls.
Less than a year ago, the city even had to shut down Station 29 for one night just to rid the bugs from the building.
The annual cost to battle the pests can reach well into the tens of thousands of dollars for the San Diego Fire Rescue Department.