Judge Dismisses Sex Crime Charges Against City Official

Prosecutors could not prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A judge dismissed a case against San Diego's "Street Czar" after he was charged with molesting a child under the age of 14.

    Prosecutors claimed that Mario Sierra, 47, forced the female victim put her hand on his penis. The girl was younger than 14 when the alleged crime happened, about seven years ago.

    However on Thursday, a judge dismissed charges against Sierra after a hearing in which the District Attorney's office made a motion to dismiss those charges, according to Steve Walker, spokesman with the DA's office.

    City Official Charged With Lewd Act

    [DGO] City Official Charged With Lewd Act
    The city's new "Street Czar" pleaded not guilty to molesting a child.

    Last month, a mistrial was declared after the jury was split over whether Sierra committed the crime. Two jurors were undecided.

    Sierra was recently appointed to Director of Transportation and Storm Water for the city of San Diego. Earlier this month, the city consolidated its street operations into one department.

    The site says a memo from the city's Chief Operating Officer, Jay Goldstone, says Sierra has been placed on unpaid administrative leave.