DA: Convicted Fugitive Child Molester Found Dead

Joseph Vincent McCarron, 58, was convicted on 11 counts of child molestation but failed to appear in court last month

By Monica Garske
|  Tuesday, Dec 3, 2013  |  Updated 5:56 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Convicted Fugitive Child Molester Found Dead

advertisement

A convicted child molester facing a maximum of 165 years in prison was found dead in north San Diego on Saturday, San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis confirmed.

Joseph Vincent McCarron, 58, was found dead in a wooded area behind a park in Carlsbad, Dumanis said. His body was recovered by Carlsbad police and positively identified by the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s office on Tuesday.

On Nov. 14, McCarron was convicted on 11 counts of child molestation stemming from the sexual abuse of the daughters of a woman he dated. Dumanis said McCarron was also convicted of multiple-victim allegations on each count, making the punishment for each count 15 years-to-life in prison.

However, McCarron failed to appear in Vista Superior Court for the reading of the verdicts that day. Dumanis said McCarron had been released after posting $500,000 cash bail and remained free on bail as he awaited sentencing.

After he failed to show up to court, officials began a two-week manhunt for McCarron, alerting the public to be on the lookout for the fugitive, who was known to frequent San Diego’s North County. Officials considered him a threat to public safety, and warned he could be armed and dangerous.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s office is expected to release McCarron’s cause of death at a later time.
 

Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out