It's Wednesday in San Diego and you have the whole night ahead of you. Live music abounds, and in some unexpected places. The Loft at UCSD has reduced its booking over the year, but as school fires back up, so do the shows and this is a good one to break in the new year.
Sea Wolf has performed around San Diego a handful of times over the past few years, with repeat visits to the Casbah and Soda Bar. But the Dangerbird artist has had few (if any) opportunities to perform to an all-ages crowd in this town, so this is certain to bring a crowded house.
It might also help his stock with the youngsters that one of his tunes, "The Violet Hour," was featured on the Twilight Saga soundtrack. If you're not a fan of the vampire series, don't hold it against Sea Wolf, because they're one of the best indie bands in recent memory and definitely worth the visit to the college campus.
Wednesday, Jan. 16:
- Sea Wolf, The Donnies The Amys @ The Loft
- The London Souls, Mrs. Henry, Uniform Victor @ Casbah
- Cannibal Ox, Keith Masters, Double A.B., Kenyattah Black, Realz @ Soda Bar
- Simpkin Project with Beyond I Sight featuring Gonzo, DJ Clint Westwood, Al Scholl @ Belly Up
- Ed Ghost Tucker, Truckstop Darlin', Brooke Nicole Telarico @ Tin Can
- FM 94.9 presents Social Distortion @ House of Blues
- The Rich Hands, Dark Thirty, guests @ Eleven
- Jessica Hull, 22 Kings, Seaholm and Mackintosh @ Lestat's
- Stevie & the Hi-Stax @ Bar Pink
- Raein, Loma Prita, Birdbrain, Lyburnem, Haruka @ Che Cafe
- Black Market lll @ Art Lab Studios
- Kice Simko and Friends @ Riviera Supper Club
- Verdell @ Kava Lounge
- Club Kingston with Ancestree, DJ Carlos Culture @ Winston's
- Major Interval @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- Sue Palmer @ Croce's
- Folk Family Revival, the Desolators, Sierra West @ Ruby Room
- Wednesday Shakedown @ Henry's Pub
- Lady Dottie & the Diamonds @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Ratt's Revenge @ Tower Bar
- Now Hear This @ Whistle Stop
- Wreck Shop Wednesday @ The Office
- Firehouse Swing Night @ Queen Bee's
- Jackson & Jesus @ McP's Irish Pub
- Smokestaxx @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- Mystique Element of Soul @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.