The weekend is finally here and there are so many amazing shows that I plan on bouncing all across the city to catch some of the goodness.
Soda Bar has one of my personal favorites, Kopecky Family Band, who were just here in December and had a well-attended show. But I would venture to guess that this one might sell out this time around with the band's radio and web buzz, so get there early and enjoy the stylings of the Eastern Sea and the Palace Ballroom.
Down at the Casbah, Blackout Party perform their first big show since returning from SXSW, and while there are tickets available, they generally sell out the Casbah with walk-up, so if you want to get in, it's another one where you want to get there early.
My night will be starting up at the Loft at UCSD, however, as I judge a Battle of the Bands where the winner earns an opening slot on the annual Sun God Festival. I haven't seen or heard any of the bands before, so it should be pretty fun walking in blindly.
No matter what your choice, there are great top-to-bottom lineups all over town, so get out and enjoy the mild San Diego spring and the first weekend of April.
Friday, April 5:
- Kopecky Family Band, the Palace Ballroom, the Eastern Sea @ Soda Bar
- Blackout Party, Low Volts, the Hollerin, Crash & the Burns @ Casbah
- Clever Void presents Tan Sister Radio, Nostalgic People, Proud Moon, Crisis Arm @ The Ché Cafe
- Sun God Battle of the Bands featuring Day of Champions, Big Sid & the Wiggle, Madeline Mann, Soda Pants @ The Loft at UCSD
- Social Club, Cochino, So Far Gone, Curt Own @ 710 Beach Club
- Pagan Funeral, Bridge Jumper, Old Man Wizard, Ghosts @ Ruby Room
- From Scars, the Shell Corporation, UncommonMenFromMars, All Things End, News From The Front @ The Void
- Quino from Big Mountain, Shake featuring Jerome Cruz from Big Mountain, Psydecar, Selektah Reefah, Lady Piracy @ The Griffin
- Stalins of Sound vs. Artoo & Adamnt, Odessa Kane vs. Poontang Clam, DJs Unite, Sesh, Pelengue and Mr Henshaw @ The Tower Bar
- The Amandas @ Whistlestop
- DJ Artistic and Nosucker DJs @ Bar Pink
- Blue Fever (5:30 p.m.), Big Head Todd & the Monsters (9:00) @ Belly Up
- Days to Change, Viscous, Turle Click, James Dean, Street Rendevous, Cult Vegas @ Brick By Brick
- Fred Benedetti & George Svoboda @ Dizzy's
- Hickies & Dryhumps @ El Dorado Bar
- Comedy Night with Aqua Rhythm, the Justin King THing, Hyperions Horizon, Lonnie Bacon, the Imfamous THEY @ Epicentre
- Nectar with DJ Scooter @ Fluxx
- Brother's Gow, DJ R2 @ Gallagher's
- Asi Suena presents El Gran Silencio and Inspector with Malacates Trebol Shop and Maskatesta @ House of Blues
- Fish and the Seaweeds (5:00 p.m.), The Steely Damned (7:30 p.m.) @ Humphreys Backstage
- Corey Powers, Roxxanne Reed @ Lestat's
- As They Burn Alive, Forever Ends Now, The I In Self, Disposable Being, A Truth Betrayed @ Soma
- Polo Polo @ Sycuan
- Cold Blue Rebels, the Blackjackits, Nox Anger & the Jerk Offs @ The Shakedown
- Seoulsonic Tour: Goonam, Lowdown 30, No Brain @ Tin Can
- Leon's Old School Karaoke Show @ Tio Leo's
- DJs VonKiss, Noel and Byrd) @ U31
- Sensation @ The V Lounge
- Rising Star @ The Dreamcatcher
- Audien @ Voyeur
- Chase Brockett and Laura Condi (6:00 p.m.), Ocean Beach Elementary Fundraiser (9:30 p.m.) @ Winston's
- World Beat presents Skatalites in Concert - Tijuana