21 Displaced by Sherman Heights Apt Fire

The fire was caused by an unattended candle

One child, 20 adults and their pets were left without a place to stay after an apartment fire in Sherman Heights.

San Diego Fire investigators said the fire started around 3:50 a.m. after someone left a candle unattended while sleeping.

The candle flame caught on the top floor of the three-story apartments, which sit in the 1900 block of Market Street.

Only one unit was damaged by the fire, but the smoke and heat caused the sprinklers to go off throughout the building.

The other apartments were left with significant water damage. No one was injured.

The Red Cross helped the 21 displaced people find a place to stay, either with someone they know or at a hotel.

The fire and sprinklers caused roughly $210,000 in damage.

Contact Us