Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness | NBC 7 San Diego

Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness

He was shot just moments after.



    Just moments before he was fatally wounded in an unprovoked attack, a San Diego police officer performed one last act of kindness; he bought a child food while buying his own dinner.

    Jeremy Henwood, 36, stopped at the McDonald's in the 3800-block of Fairmount Avenue at 5:24 p.m. on Aug. 6. Surveillance video released Tuesday shows Henwood speaking with the boy and getting their food shortly before leaving the store at 5:27 p.m.

    Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness

    [DGO] Officer Jeremy Henwood's Final Act of Kindness
    A recently released surveillance video from a McDonalds shows the minutes leading up to the shooting of officer Jeremy Henwood on the streets of City Heights.
    (Published Thursday, March 8, 2012)

    Shortly after 5:30 p.m., Henwood was shot while sitting inside his patrol car at the corner of University Avenue and 45th Street. Henwood had only made it six blocks from the McDonalds; it would be the last place he was seen alive.

    Witnesses said a man pulled up on this side of Henwood’s vehicle and shot him with a shotgun in what officials say was an unprovoked attack.

    Officer Henwood's Last Act of Kindness

    [DGO] Officer Henwood's Last Act of Kindness
    Surveillance video shows the last moments of the officer's life.
    (Published Tuesday, Aug. 16, 2011)

    Henwood passed away at Scripps Mercy Hospital at 1:42 a.m. on Aug. 7.

    Henwood, who served with SDPD for four years, was assigned to the Mid-City Division. He was also a Captain in the United States Marine Corps Reserves and had recently returned from deployment. During a memorial service in Point Loma on Aug. 12, Henwood was promoted to the rank of major.

    Officer Bought Child a Meal Before Death

    [DGO] Henwood Bought Child a Meal Moments Before His Death: Police Chief
    San Diego Police Chief William Lansdowne tells the story of how Officer Jeremy Henwood performed a random act of kindness just before his death, buying a child a meal at a nearby fast food restaurant.
    (Published Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011)

    The suspect in Henwood’s shooting, whom police have identified as Dejon Marquee White, 23, was killed by police after a standoff outside a City Heights apartment building almost an hour after Henwood was shot.