Two teenagers and a man suffered burn injuries after a science experiment caused a small explosion during a high school field trip to the desert east of San Diego on Friday morning.
Authorities report that just before 9 a.m. they were dispatched to a campfire ring at the Borrego Springs Palm Canyon Campground on Palm Canyon Drive after getting a report that someone sustained burns to their legs.
Arriving Borrego Springs Fire Protection District officials found one adult and two 14-year-old boys with burn injuries on various parts of their body.
The man was said to have burns to his legs, feet, arms, and hands. One of the boys had burns on his arms and legs and the other boy was burned on his legs and one arm.
The victims were part of larger group from High Tech High School in Point Loma.
Officials report the group was conducting a science experiment at the time of the incident.
Cal Fire Battalion Chief Nick Schuler said the injuries appeared to be caused by flammable fumes that wafted into the campfire ring. Schuler added that there was some propane or alcohol-based fuel nearby.
All three victims where airlifted to area hospitals for their injuries.
The adult, described by officials as a 39-year-old man, suffered second-degree burns over 30-percent of his body.
The two teenagers suffered burns to their legs, however information regarding the severity of their burns was not immediately available.