Toddler Chokes to Death at School

Three-year-old swallows a pushpin while at preschool

By Lauren Steussy
|  Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011  |  Updated 11:07 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Toddler Chokes to Death at School

advertisement

A 3-year-old boy died in the hospital Monday after choking on a pushpin in an Oceanside preschool.

An unnamed teacher heard the toddler make a gasping sound as he held his hands to his neck, Oceanside Police said.

He then became unresponsive. A bystander initiated CPR and a 911 call was placed from the Montessori School of Oceanside, located at 3525 Cannon Road in Oceanside.

The boy was transported to the ER, where despite aggressive efforts to save him, doctors pronounced him dead. The Medical Examiners Office said the boy died from accidental asphyxiation.

A spokesperson at the preschool said that school is in session today, but declined to comment on the boy’s death.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out