Finally, the San Diego Music Awards are here. What is supposed to be a night to honor the best that San Diego has to offer certainly has its share of controversy and tension, but for someone active in the local music community, it's a chance to see many of my friends all in one place, catch some great performances and, perhaps, meet some new people in the local music world as well. The awards ceremony returns to Humphreys Concerts By the Bay after many years at Viejas Casino, which should fare well for attendance. SoundDiego is a proud sponsor of this year's event, so drop by our table and meet all of the SoundDiego bloggers.
The official after-party is taking place at Riley's in Point Loma and features live band karaoke with Geezer. The party is free. You might also want to head to the Casbah for the U.K.'s the Clientele (Check out our preview by T. Loper of Owlandbear.com). Show your SDMA ticket stub for half-price admission at the door.
Sunday, Sept. 12:
- San Diego Music Awards, featuring the Night Marchers, the Nervous Wreckords, Maren Parusel, New Mexico, Miss Erika Davies, Transfer, Jimmy Powers @ Humphreys Concerts By the Bay
- The Clientele @ M-Theory (free, all ages, 4:30 pm)
- The Clientele, Lay Low, Little White Teeth, @ Casbah (half-price with SDMA wristband/ticket stub)
- FM 94/9 Presents Dead Confederate, Alberta Cross, Futurebirds @ Belly Up
- SDMA Official After-Party, featuring live band karaoke with Geezer @ Riley's
- The Material, Children of Nova, We Are the New Year, Time and Distance @ Ruby Room
- Karaoke with Daryl Johnston @ Soda Bar
- Tribe of Kings/Reggae Vibes @ U-31
- The Robin Henkel Band @ Lestat's
- Jose Sinatra's OB-O-ke @ Winston's
- Japanther, Jehovas Fitness, Koalacaust @ Che Cafe
- Audio Out @ Dreamstreet
- Jesse Davis @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge Brunch, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Aubrey Fey (CD release) @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge
- Party Rock, featuring Red Foo and Sky Blu of LMFAO, Skeet Skeet, DJ Air @ Intervention Pool Party, Float, Hard Rock Hotel
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.