Built to Spill begin a sold-out two-night run at the Casbah on Sunday.
Feliz Cinco de Mayo! To celebrate the anniversary of Mexico beating France in the Battle of Puebla, more gringos take it to the streets than Mexicans, but everyone loves an excuse to have fun, so get out and enjoy some of San Diego's most delectable tacos, enjoy a couple yellow fizzy beers or a salt-rimmed margarita, then prepare for a night of music in San Diego. Legends Built to Spill are doing a sold-out two-night stint at the Casbah,and these shows are certain to become Casbah lore, locked into memories forever. But if you didn't grab a ticket, no reason why you can't get to Soda Bar to enjoy Beat Connection, celebrate a Conscious Party at the Griffin with San Diego's B-Side Players or enjoy a tribute to songwriting greats at the Belly Up. Then again, there's always Old Town's Cinco de Mayo, which should have Old Town Mex busting at the seams into the late night hours.
Sunday May 5:
- Old Town Cinco De Mayo (11am-5pm)
- Built to Spill, Junior Rocket Scientist @ The Casbah (sold out)
- Casbah and Soda Bar present Beat Connection, Odesza, Astronautica @ Soda Bar
- Hot Club of Cowtowtown @ AMSD
- Ritmo de Mayo Conscious Party, with B-Side Players, Las Cafeteras, Cumbia Machin, DJ Unite, DJ SLoepoke, DJ Beto Perez @ The Griffin
- Local Bands, Local Brews @ 710 Beach Club
- Happy Endings, hosted by DJs Joemama & Tramlife @ Bar Pink
- Tony Suraci as The Highwayman: A Tribute to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson, with Low Volts @ Belly Up
- Coastal Cities Jazz Band @ Center Theater (California Center for the Arts Escondido)
- Tough Stuff, Higher Learning, Jelly Boyz, Ella @ The Che Cafe
- Azucar, Saul Q, Kid Wonder, the Office Twins, Pablo @ El Dorado Bar
- Sandollar @ Gallagher's
- Mindless Self Indulgence, with Chantal Claret @ House of Blues
- John Bowe (10 a.m.), Jason Brown (7 p.m.) @ Humphreys Backstage
- Jon Runion, Chelsea Crowell @ Lestat's
- The Agents @ Tio Leo's
- Giraffe Aftermath, Burnt, Ottly Mercy and DJ Cool Breeze @ Winston's (4:00)
- Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winston's
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.