Homeowner: Phone Sparks Rolando House Fire

A Rolando man whose family had to escape a house fire told NBC 7 a cell phone caught fire on a charger.

San Diego Fire-Rescue crews rushed to the home on Missy Court just before 11 p.m. Thursday.

When they got to the home, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the roof.

The resident told NBC 7 his daughter set her cellphone on a charger and jumped in the shower.

When she finished, the girl said her cell phone was on fire, the man said.

The father rushed to break open her bedroom window to get a water hose in and cut his hand. He was taken to the hospital.

He says neighbors also rushed to help put out the fire.

Firefighters were able to knock the fire out within 15 minutes.

Contact Us