Members of the Koi Club of San Diego said the fish died from chlorine poisoning. It happened when the automatic fill system malfunctioned. The fish were flooded with untreated tap water and the chlorine burned their gills.
On Saturday, the Japanese Friendship Garden will host an event from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. to raise money to replenish the fish to the pond. The San Diego Koi Club will give presentations on the fish and there will be hors d'oeuvres. Donations will be accepted.
The koi collection was acquired over the years. Each one's estimated value is from $800 to $3,500 depending on the size and type. One of the oldest fish was around 15 years of age. The fish symbolize strength, peace, and grace.
The garden is located at 2215 Pan American Road East. To RSVP, call 619-232-2721.