I have never been musically inclined. I had this great fifth-grade teacher, Mr. Banner, who, despite my lack of talent. indulged me with amazing stage opportunities, like a solo on the recorder during a play or a xylophone solo during "Aspenglow" at the winter music performance.
Since then, I've pretty much steered clear of any attempts at musical greatness, though I'll still rock a cowbell if anyone needs an extra member in their touring band.
There is an exception, however, and it is still somewhat unclear how I ended up playing a keyboard part onstage at the Casbah with Kenan Bell, but it was both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. A friend of mine plays in the band, which is this really cool hybrid of quick and stylish hip-hop lyrics by Kenan Bell, performed with a full backing rock band. During the last song of their set, the first time performing at the Casbah, they pulled a bunch of people onstage to help them out, showed me two keys that I had to hit, and I just went with it.
Music. Community. Culture.
This time around I'll leave the performing to the professionals, but bring your cameras. because this might be one of the rare times you'll actually see me dancing.
Monday, June 28:
- Anti-Monday League presents Wallpaper, Kenan Bell, Rafter @ Casbah
- Audio-Out , Waring States of Mind, Early and Often @ Soda Bar
- The Styletones @ Bar Pink
- Lady Dottie and the Diamonds @ U-31
- Michele Lundeen @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge
- Melly Frances and the Distilled Spirits @ Riviera Supper Club
- Adam G's Musical Pursuit @ Whistle Stop
- Pyrate Punx Mayhem Mondays presents: Decay, Eternal Tormentor @ Radio Room
- Blues Jam Hosted by Mystery Train @ O'Connell's
- Doug Allen, Suzy Bongo @ The Kraken
- Missy Anderson @ Patrick's II
- Electric Waste Band, Drunk Poet's Society @ Winston's
- Dave Scott @ Croce's
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.