I don't exactly remember the first time that I met Natalie Kardos, but I remember the second. We were in the Atari Lounge at the Casbah and we got to talking, hitting it off as friends right away. She was in grad school but had an interest in photography. She quickly became one of my favorite photographers in the music scene.
When we found ourselves with photo passes for a free Flaming Lips show, I felt we'd struck gold, legitimizing bloggers and photographers as an integral part of the music scene. As we jockeyed with other photographers for position, we saw that famous inflatable ball and lined up stage left so the ball would pass directly overhead with Wayne Coyne inside, and she captured the best photos of that day that I saw.
Over the years, Natalie has shot hundreds of bands and is now a contributing photographer for Pitchfork. While I'm so happy for Natalie that she's found new happiness and will be moving to Seattle, it is also with sadness that we will say goodbye as she has been a great friend and such a massive supporter and proponent of San Diego's music scene.
Music. Community. Culture.
You can say goodbye at the Casbah on Wednesday with a great lineup including Kalashnikov My Wife, a band featuring Natalie and Petro Halcowycz of Swim Party, among others. If you're in a local band, now is your chance to thank Natalie for her contributions. Or if you're not, it is going to be a great festive night at the Casbah anyway, so celebrate the vibrancy that exists in this city because of people like Natalie.
Wednesday, August 1:
- Natalie Kardos' (aka It's Too Sunny Out Here) farewell party featuring Tyler Lyle, Dawn Mitschele, the Local Strangers, Kalashnikov My Wife @ Casbah
- Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Batwings, the Junk Poets @ Soda Bar
- Magner's San Diego Music Showcase with Inspired Flight, Kevin Martin Band, Italian Japanese @ Belly Up
- Cogito, Blac Jesus & the Experimentalists @ Tin Can
- Los Lonely Boys, North Mississippi Allstars Duo @ Humphreys Concerts by the Bay
- Flat Wheeler, New York Taxi, the Last Centurion @ Eleven
- Wreck Shop Wednesday with Mark Miller, Gatsby's Fiddle, Cigarettes After Sex, Halfbreed Lovers @ The Office
- Jeremy Morris with True Stories and Scott Mathiasen @ Lestat's
- New Best Thing presents Haute Sex @ Whistle Stop
- DJ Ratstar @ Bar Pink
- Supersonic Dragon Wagon, Lost Marauders, Revenge Death Ball @ The Griffin
- Big K.R.I.T. and Casey Veggies Live @ Porter's Pub
- My Graveyard Jaw, Nick Bone & the Big Scene, Pushin Rope @ The Shakedown Bar
- Luisa Maita, Naia Kete @ Anthology
- Bret Michaels @ Sycuan Live & Up Close
- Tour Booker Annie presents Slut Machine, the Last Years, Hocus @ Ruby Room
- Nancarrow, Jefferson Washington @ The Saloon (Encinitas)
- Vanja James @ Riviera Supper Club
- Club Kingston presents Roots Covenant, DJ Carlos Culture @ Winston's
- Sunset Trivia presents Music & Pop Culture Trivia Night @ House of Blues Voodoo Stage
- Beach Funk Revolution @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Gilbert Castellanos with the New Latin Jazz Quintet @ El Camino
- Wednesday Shakedown @ Henry's Pub
- Darkwave Garden @ Club Kadan
- Lady Dottie & the Diamonds @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Firehouse Swing Night @ Queen Bee's
- Karaoke @ Chico Club
- Sue Palmer @ Croce's
- John Foltz @ Marble Room
- The Buckleys @ Valley View Casino