If I could sleep for the next 72 hours, I would, but there's still work to be done before Thanksgiving, so perhaps some music will carry us through. Tonight at the Belly Up, catch Emily Afton, an indie singer-songwriter from the Bay Area whose folky tunes stand out for their lyrical storytelling. Our pals Dani Bell & the Tarantist are direct support, so make a whole night of this show. Meager, another Oakland act, are in town at Soda Bar, but they're playing a divergently different genre of fast driving punk with proggy guitars. At first listen, you might think of "Institutionalized" era Suicidal Tendencies but with less screaming and a little more coherence. Elsewhere, Casbah has another iteration of DJ Artistic's Hip-Hop Battle Bot. It'll be a great short week, and I don't need to tell you how much we all need the break.
Monday, Nov. 25:
- DJ Artistic's Hip-Hop Battle Bot @ Casbah
- Emily Afton, Dani Bell & the Tarantist, the Ha @ Belly Up
- Meager, Threadpuller, Infinity Eyes, Poor @ Soda Bar
- '80s Nite with DJ Junior & Guests @ The Merrow
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Chris Fast Band @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Free Mini-Concert with Rodney Girvin @ Lyceum (12 p.m.)
- Blue Monday: Dark '80s Night @ Blonde
- Julio De La Huerta @ Plaza Bar, Westgate Hotel
- Vinyl Night Open Table @ Border X Brewing
- Metal Monday Dogs of Hell DJ Crew @ Space
- Groovin’ with DJs Old Man Johnson and Marshall Islands @ Til-Two Club
- Ryan Zimmerman @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Carol Curtis @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Electric Relaxation: '90s Hip-Hop/Chill Beats @ Whistle Stop
- Mic'd Up at Moonshine @ Moonshine Flats
- Rosie's Jazz Jam with Louis V @ Rosie O'Grady's
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.