Here are your Evening Puck Headlines and Previews: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• So wait: The Calgary Flames make the biggest trade of the deadline, and Flames bloggers are sort of pissed about it? Hit the Post sounds like it's positively choking down the trade, and its various impacts on team chemistry and the Flames' financial structure in the future. Completely Hammered hopes that Mike Keenan can be the cure for Olli Jokinen: Locker Room Cancer.
• Battle of Alberta makes the case that Matthew Lombardi was a comparable player to Olli Jokinen this season, and that giving up a first-round pick in the deal with the Phoenix Coyotes really makes the trade unpalatable. [BoA]
Preview: Detroit Red Wings at Colorado Avalanche (9 p.m. EST; TV: FSD, ALT, Yahoo Sports!). Brett Clark and Ryan Smyth are both still members of the Avs. Unfortunately, so are Peter Budaj and Andrew Raycroft. Marian Hossa is day-to-day with a stiff neck and bruised knee cap.
• Oh dear: The face of the Flint Generals mascot "General Rally" has been missing since Thursday! This story is pretty much the goofiest thing we've seen all day. Besides Keith Jones. [WJRT, H/T/ Puck Buddy Wendy]
• The Two-Line Pass offers a hasty deadline winners/losers assessment. On the Loser Lightning: "The Tampa Bay Lightning. This summer they traded Danny Boyle for Matt Carle and Ty Wishart. Then they traded Carle for Steve Downie and Steve Eminger. Then they traded Steve Eminger for Noah Welch and a third-round pick. So that trade again: Danny Boyle for Ty Wishart, Steve Downie, Noah Welch and a third-round pick. Great asset management. [The Two-Line Pass]
The top sports headlines of the day
• Lou Lamoriello, who couldn't find the right deal for Scott Clemmensen, about the deadline: "There are three types of teams at the deadline: buyers, traders, and tweakers." He said the Devils were tweakers. Based on the results, we're pretty sure the Lightning were actually the tweakers. [Fire & Ice]
• Miroslav Satan has been sent to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League, where he can teach the next generation of NHL players to be underwhelming and inconsistent. [HockeyFights]
• Philadelphia Flyers blogger Travis on the Daniel Carcillo deal: "Apparently, he's a guy who fits the Philly style and all that... but Upshall fit that as well. That's why I'm bothered by this deal." [Broad Street Hockey]
Preview: Montreal Canadiens at Buffalo Sabres (7:30 p.m. EST; TV: TSN, NHLN). Who knew that Darcy Regier had this kind of active deadline day in him? Naturally, we predicted he'd make a small deal for a defenseman. Naturally, he did everything but that. Carey Price vs. Patrick Lalime this evening.
• The Post-Anger Management Sean Avery made his first appearance at New York Rangers practice, saying things like: "I feel like I'm just really grateful to be home ... Obviously, I want to make the best of this opportunity. Obviously, I'm not perfect but I'm going to work as hard as I can to make everyone happy, work hard and win games. That's what I can control on my own and that's it." C'mon man .. sex joke? Fat joke? Middle finger, for old time's sake? [New York Times]