Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Kevin Paul Dupont reports on this morning's blockbuster rumor that the Boston Bruins proposed sending Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Tomas Kaberle and the No. 7 pick. Turns out the No. 7 pick wasn't in play, and that the Bruins may have been trying to blow the Leafs away with an offer before Kaberle's value increases post-Jay Bouwmeester signing somewhere. [Boston Globe, with good commentary from Lowetide as well]
• What's that you say? You'd like to read some NHL Mock Drafts for 2009? Here's what the National Post, Edmonton Journal, USA Today, Pierre McGuire and Craig Button, The Program and Craig Custance. Lots of love for Victor Hedman as the top choice in these.
The top sports headlines of the day
• B.D. Gallof's mocked draft. If you're a fan of his Photoshop contest work on Puck Daddy, this is your Christmas morning. [Islanders Independent]
• Cycle Like The Sedins has been running an epic blogger-based draft preview that's just terrific. In-depth, detailed and with some great writing. [Cycle Like The Sedins]
• TSN has a live blog rolling all day for the draft, and says that top prospects Nazem Kadri and Landon Ferraro "will also be tweeting in the blog." Seeing as how some feel Kadri could be this year's first-round dropper, that could be a show. [TSN]
• Tampa Bay Lightning GM Brian Lawton hedges a bit on the team keeping its No. 2 overall pick: "It's starting to get very interesting now. ...People would be shocked at the quality of names." Then again, the Bolts are currently trying to figure out who goes up to the podium for the pick. Is it Oren's day or Len's day with the kids? [Joe Bolts Fan]
• After reports yesterday that his client had agreed to a new contract extension with the Vancouver Canucks, Roberto Luongo's agent says everybody just needs to take a chill pill about the goalie's future with the team. Oh, and that John Buccigross shouldn't get into the rumors business. [Province]
• Man falls from the roof of the Hockeytown bar in Detroit, and Deadspin has an eyewitness account. [Deadspin, and not for the squeamish]
• A little NCAA news, as a report suggests that "Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha will be officially welcomed into the Western Collegiate Hockey Association Friday afternoon." Go Beavers! [Bemidji Pioneer]
• Speaking of the Ducks, via the Toronto Sun: "Some scuttlebutt in the lobby of the official NHL hotel last night speculated that perhaps Anaheim, Burke's previous club, might move veteran Chris Pronger in a package for Kaberle. For the time being, take that for what it's worth -- a rumour that lacks teeth." Please hockey gods ... [Sun Media]
• The good folks at the Joe Sports Fan podcast had me on for their roundtable segment, and I decided to baffle them with a tribute to the Atari 2600 video game Yar's Revenge. [Joe Sports Fan]
• Finally, a classic moment that Bangin Panger sent over, and frankly one that we had forgotten about: Mika Noronen cleans the glass for the goal judge after a blown call. Killer.