Authorities Question Cubs' Starlin Castro After Shooting - NBC 7 San Diego

Authorities Question Cubs' Castro After Shooting

Castro was questioned and then released by police after a shooting in a Dominican Republic night club

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Authorities Question Cubs' Castro After Shooting
    Getty Images
    Starlin Castro #13 of the Chicago Cubs hits a RBI double against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the thrid inning of the spring training game at Cubs Park on Feb. 27, 2014, in Mesa, Ariz.

    Authorities in the Dominican Republic questioned Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro after a nightclub shooting Saturday morning in the Dominican Republic in which several people were injured.

    Police spokesman Jacobo Mateo said Castro was one of six people initially detained and has been released. He said police searched Castro's house and that the investigation is ongoing.

    Paul Kinzer, Castro's agent, said his client went to the police on his accord to make sure they knew he wasn't involved.

    "They said they had video and they knew he wasn't involved," Kinzer said.

    The shooting occurred in the northwest province of Montecristi, where the 24-year-old Castro is from. Mateo said at least four people were treated at a hospital for injuries.

    Police are investigating allegations that the shooting occurred after an argument between Castro's brother and the assistant of a government official.

    Castro said at a news conference earlier this month that he had already left a club when a different shooting occurred and was not involved in it.

    "It's just they keep dragging his name into this and he had nothing to do with either incident," Kinzer said.

    Kinzer said Castro had spoken with the Cubs and "they aren't happy his name is involved" again. The 24-year-old Castro hit .292 with 14 homers and 65 RBIs in 134 games last season.