A venomous snake bit a customer shopping for trees at a North Carolina home improvement store Monday, authorities said.
The unidentified customer was shopping in the lawn and gardening section where trees are displayed at a Lowe's in Denver, in Lincoln County, about 25 miles north of Charlotte, said Karen Cobb, a spokeswoman for Lowe's. The copperhead sank its teeth into the customer, who was treated at a local hospital after employees called 911, Cobb told NBC News.
Cobb said the company hadn't figured out why the snake was in the center, but she said that a pest control company has swept the area and that no other snakes have been found.
U.S. & World
Copperhead bites cause tissue destruction but usually aren't fatal to people, according to the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.
The East Lincoln Fire Department took the occasion to issue a warning on Facebook, telling readers "to be mindful when shopping for gardening supplies."