California

Search Resumes for Final Victim of Diving Boat Fire

The search had been halted over the weekend and Monday because of high winds.

Boat Fire California
AP

Divers resumed a search Tuesday for the last missing victim who died in a fatal boat fire, as authorities pursued a criminal investigation into the blaze that killed 34 people off the coast of California, authorities said.

The search had been halted over the weekend and Monday because of high winds.

Authorities served search warrants Sunday at the Southern California company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire and killed 34 people last week. Marianne Favro reports.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told the Board of Supervisors that salvage operations to raise the Conception out of the water also restarted.

Brown said the victims, 21 women and 13 men from 16 to 62 years old, appear to have died from smoke inhalation before they were burned.

Authorities were working to identify the victims and release their remains to families.

[NATL-LA] Photos: How Mourners Are Remembering Victims of the Conception Boat Fire Tragedy

As part of the investigation, the FBI is seeking photos and videos related to the fire as multiple agencies examine whether the captain and boat owners followed safety requirements.

Authorities said Monday they were now conducting a criminal probe into the fiery dive boat disaster that killed 34 off of the Southern California coast on Labor Day, authorities said Monday. Ian Cull reports.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller says authorities are asking people to call 1-800-CALL-FBI or visit fbi.gov/boatfire.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us