Police Standoff on LSD Ends After Several Hours

Authorities said Joseph Andrew Felton Jr. is wanted in connection with a homicide in Georgia

Chicago's Lake Shore Drive reopened early Monday morning, hours after police said they took a murder suspect into custody following an intense standoff that lasted more than eight hours.

Authorities with the Henry County Sheriff’s Office in Georgia said Joseph Andrew Felton Jr., 43, was wanted for a homicide in that state. He was at Northwestern Memorial Hospital with wounds that were said to be self-inflicted.

Felton's wife, Sheray Latriest Felton, was found slain Saturday.

The ordeal that ended in the crash and standoff on Lake Shore Drive began in south suburban Harvey when authorities, provided with a vehicle description and registration, GPS location and arrest warrant information, spotted Felton's car shortly after noon and started a chase that went on for nearly 20 miles.

Chicago Police Bureau of Patrol Chief Wayne Gulliford said the car struck multiple vehicles during the pursuit, including a Chicago police vehicle. An officer was treated at an area hospital for injuries that weren’t life-threatening. The car also hit a civilian vehicle carrying two adults and 10-year-old child. They also were treated at an area hospital for injuries that weren’t life-threatening.

Felton's car finally stopped when it crashed near the Theatre on the Lake just north of West Fullerton Parkway on Lake Shore Drive shortly after 1 p.m. It was immediately surrounded by dozens of squad cars and at least two armored police vehicles.

Police did not confirm the identity of the man in the vehicle but said he was was armed with knives and told negotiators he had "a large number of guns and he was not coming out of the vehicle alive." He displayed what negotiators said was erratic and unstable behavior.

Felton's sister, Lastella Felton, was at the scene and told NBC Chicago that she was told her brother was asking for her. She said the family learned Saturday that he was wanted for murder.

"We just found out about that yesterday, we had no idea about that so police are working with us," she said.

Lastella Felton was escorted by police at the scene but said she could not get close enough to her brother.

She said her brother has a history of violence and called him "a bad seed," but she noted the incident "could have been resolved many, many hours ago."

Scanner information indicated that shots were fired, but police could not confirm that information. Witnesses reported hearing up to three or four shots.

"Will you come out, please?" a negotiator said Sunday afternoon, aiming a bullhorn at the damaged, dark-colored car. "We’re not going to hurt you. ... We’ll get you some water, something to eat. What do you think of that?"

"Your family’s out here and really cold," a police negotiator later said. “If you want to see your family, wave your hand.”

Authorities ultimately used a "distraction device" and the man in the vehicle was removed just after 9:45 p.m.

Authorities said Felton lived in the Chicago area with his wife until a few months ago. Sheray Felton’s sister, Nancy Mays, said her sister moved to Georgia a few months ago to get away from Felton, but he later followed her there.

“He’s a very controlling person, and she wanted to get away from the controlling situation,” Mays said.

Sheray sought an order of protection against Felton last May in Will County, but it was dismissed when no one appeared in court, records show.

Felton was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery in Will County in July. Steger Police Chief Gregory Rambo said Felton was accused of slapping Sheray and pulling her wig off at a liquor store in the south suburb.

Sheray told police that Felton’s violence "had been increasing" and that he had spit in her face earlier in the day in Chicago. That domestic battery charge was later dismissed because of a lack of a complaining witness, according to court records.

Mays struggled through tears Sunday to talk about her sister. Sheray had a 21-year-old son, she said, and two puppies that she loved.

Mays said she loved Sheray "very, very dearly."

Contact Us