Officials believe a fire at a suburban Illinois home Friday night was sparked by fireworks.
Firefighters with the Orland Fire Protection District responded to the 11200 block of Poplar Creek Lane in Orland Park around 9 p.m. Friday, just minutes before the city’s official Fourth of July fireworks display was set to begin, after neighbors spotted flames on the roof of a home in the area, according to Town of Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania.
Officials said the flames were confined to an attached garage with a cedar-covered roof.
U.S. & World
The cause of the fire was determined to be fireworks used by someone in the area and the Orland Park Police Department was questioning one person in connection with the incident as of Saturday morning, officials said.
“People watch as fireworks shoot up into the sky, and when done professionally, it is fun. But when it is done individually, the individuals forget that’s sometimes the fireworks can come back down and cause damage to property,” said OFPD Chief Ken Brucki. “Fortunately, this home fire, which we believe was caused by the use of fireworks, did not result in any injuries but it did cause what could have been a major fire that would have changed the lives of the people living in the home.”
Brucki said several other fires caused by fireworks were reported in the area but were considered “outdoor situations.”
Police were on alert for fireworks Friday and Brucki said they will continue to be on alert through the holiday weekend.
“This is another reason why we constantly urge the public to leave the fireworks to the professionals,” said OFPD Board President Jim Hickey. “They look beautiful when they are fired into the sky at night but no one thinks about the consequences of when the fireworks come down on property. You need professionals there to manage the fireworks and professional firefighters on standby to respond to any injuries or fires.”