New Hampshire Fugitive Charged with Killing His Parents Arrested in Florida

Matthew Dion had been on the U.S. Marshals Service's "15 Most Wanted List"

One of the most wanted accused criminals in America, a man from New Hampshire, has been caught in Florida.

Matthew Dion is accused of strangling his mother and father in their Manchester home last March and then setting it on fire.
The 15-month-long manhunt ended at about 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Matthew Dion is charged in Florida as a fugitive from justice. The victims family and friends tell necn they're anxious for Dion to face a judge here at home.

"Yesterday evening, a significant lead came in and we acted quickly," said Deputy U.S. Marshal Greg Murano. "Everything fell into place for us for a safe apprehension."

Authorities say within 24 hours of a media blitz down south, US Marshal's caught up with Dion Wednesday morning at a motel in Orange Park, Florida where they say he was staying and doing some construction.

They say Dion was hiding in plain sight, living under an alias of "Cameron Bouchard."

"He was an intelligent individual, he laid low, and didn't draw attention to himself," said U.S. Marshal for the District of New Hampshire David Cargill, Jr.

Cargill says Dion was taken into custody without incident.

The 39-year-old is accused of strangling his adoptive parents, Bob and Connie Dion and then five days later, setting their Mooresville Road home on fire.

It was March 24, 2014 and neighbor Heather McAllister remembers it vividly.

"I'm glad the family will be able to have some closure," McAllister said. "They still have to go through the grief because that takes a long time, but to know that he will come to justice, is good."

Attorney James Normand represents the victim's nephew. Normand says the family is relieved and ready to get some answers.

"They want to find out if anybody else was involved, was Matthew alone, did he even commit this act, will he admit to it," Normand said.

Authorities say while Dion's capture is a huge step, the quest to get those questions answered is far from over.

"It was clear the way the community came together the way law enforcement pulled resources together, this was very important," said Manchester Police Chief Nick Willard.

Once Dion is extradited to New Hampshire, he will be held in jail without bail and will face two counts of second degree murder, one count of arson, and one count of possessing child pornography.

Necn spoke with some of the victim's close friends Wednesday who didn't want to go on camera, but say they're hopeful this development means their longtime neighbors can finally rest in peace.

Contact Us