Ex-Judge’s Home Searched After Killing of Texas DA, Wife

Ex-official said he is not bitter at prosecutors over theft case

The home of a former Kaufman County, Texas, judge who says he was questioned by agents just hours after the district attorney and his wife were shot to death last month was searched Friday afternoon.

Local, state and federal agents are at Eric Williams' home in Kaufman executing a search warrant.

The FBI, Texas Rangers and Kaufman County investigators are gathering evidence related to the murders of District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife and the murder of Assistant District Attorney Mark Hasse back in January, according to Kaufman County public information officer Lt. Justin Lewis.

Williams has never been named as a suspect, and no arrest warrant has been issued for him.

In an interview April 3, Williams told NBC 5 DFW he had nothing to do with the McLellands' murders and doesn't even own a gun.

"If I was in their shoes, I would want to talk to me," Eric Williams had said in an interview at his house. "In the investigators' minds, they want to check with me to do their process of elimination."

Williams, a former Kaufman County justice of the peace, was charged with theft and later convicted in a high-profile trial. He was kicked out of office, and his law license was suspended. He was sentenced to two years' probation and is appealing his conviction.

But he said he is not bitter and wouldn't want to harm anyone.

"I've cooperated with law enforcement," Williams told NBC 5 DFW on April 3. "I certainly wish them the best in bringing justice to this incredibly egregious act."

Williams' name has swirled around the courthouse because his trial was sensational news in this small community, and it included testimony of death threats.

William said he was contacted by investigators on March 30 — only about three hours after McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, were found dead inside their Forney home.

He said he met the agents at a nearby restaurant, where he allowed them to swab his hands for gunpowder residue. He also gave them his and his wife's cellphones, which they returned the next day.

"I know I didn't do anything," he said. "I know where I was."

Williams said he was at home with his wife or up the street at his in-laws late Friday and Saturday.

He expressed shock at the crime and sympathy for the victims' families.

"I want to say my deepest condolences go out to the McLelland family and all the people at the courthouse," he said.

Asked if he is angry at prosecutors, he said, "No, I'm not. Obviously that was also a part of them doing their jobs."

Contact Us