Boy Loses Fingers After Firework Explodes in Hand

fireworks wick
NBC 5 News

A boy lost three of his fingers after a firework blew up in his hand in southern California, a Moreno Valley fire department said.

Firefighters found the 13-year-old had suffered a significant injury when they arrived following the explosion on the 24000 block of Webster Avenue at around 5:39 p.m. Thursday, a Riverside County Fire Department spokesman said.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment to injured hand and is in a moderate condition, according to the Riverside County Fire Department. 

It is illegal to have fireworks in most of Riverside County, including Moreno Valley, while ones that only explode such as firecrackers are illegal everywhere in California.

A zero tolerance policy is in place for the use, sale, purchase, transport or storage of fireworks in Riverside County. Anyone caught will have their fireworks confiscated and face a fine of up to $500.

Contact Us