Belgium

Don't Blame Intelligence Failures for Brussels Attacks, Belgian Justice Minister Says

At least one suspect is still believed to be at large in the March 22 attacks

Belgian emergency management officials have again revised the death toll in last week's bombings in Brussels – this time lower – as Belgium's justice minister defended the government's terror laws, NBC News reported.

Belgium's crisis center said Tuesday the number of victims is back down to 32, including four Americans, after it was discovered some victims were counted more than once. The figure does not include three suicide bombers identified by prosecutors. Reports on Monday had said the death toll was up to 35 people killed by the bombers.

Investigators are still looking for at least one suspect – identified as a "man in white" seen in airport surveillance – in the March 22 attacks.

Belgian Justice Minister Koen Geens on Tuesday took particular issue with criticism that the small European nation remains a soft target and its security services are ill-equipped to deal with extremist networks: "We cannot say that enormous and systematic mistakes were made."

Read More

Contact Us