A middle school in Watertown, Connecticut, found that 43 students hospitalized Thursday had overheated and were not exposed to an environmental issue, as originally suspected, the school announced Friday.
"In reviewing yesterday’s schedule, the preliminary findings indicate that the kids became overheated and then became ill," Board of Education Chairman Lisa Crotty said Friday.
One child at Swift Middle School fainted and dozens were sent to the hospital after complaining of nausea and lightheadedness, according to the superintendent. The school evacuated and canceled classes Friday to investigate what was originally described as an "odor."
Crotty said students were in the auditorium practicing for a concert when they became ill. The day before, however, the superintendent said students throughout the school developed symptoms.
The school has adjusted the air conditioning system to override the thermostat when the temperature gets above a certain point.
Classes will resume Monday and the student concert will be performed Tuesday as scheduled.