House Ethics Panel: Nunes Didn't Leak Classified Information - NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

House Ethics Panel: Nunes Didn't Leak Classified Information

Texas Rep. Michael Conaway has led the intelligence committee's Russia investigation since Nunes stepped aside



    House Ethics Panel: Nunes Didn't Leak Classified Information
    Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., speaks on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2017.

    The House Ethics Committee on Thursday cleared the chairman of the House intelligence committee on a complaint that he may have leaked classified information, paving the way for Rep. Devin Nunes to again lead his panel's probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

    The Ethics Committee said in a brief statement that it determined Nunes, a California Republican, did not release classified material while talking about information he had received on a clandestine trip to the White House in April. Nunes had stepped aside from the Russia probe pending the ethics investigation and amid criticism that he was too close to the White House.

    If Nunes were to return to the investigation, it would put a close ally of President Donald Trump at the head of one of the congressional investigations into whether Russia coordinated with his campaign. Nunes was part of Trump's transition team after the election and had questioned suggestions of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. Texas Rep. Mike Conaway has led the probe in Nunes' absence.

    Citing intelligence experts, the Ethics Committee said it determined that Nunes did not publicly reveal classified information when he discussed secret documents he reviewed on the White House grounds earlier this year. When the committee opened its probe of Nunes in April, Nunes said he would step aside temporarily, pending the ethics review. He has remained close to the investigation, though, retaining access to documents and subpoena power as the chairman of the intelligence panel.

    ‘I’m Not Going to Do It Again’: Trump Signs Spending Bill After All

    [NATL] ‘I’m Not Going to Do It Again’: Trump Signs Spending Bill After All

    President Donald Trump discusses why he was so unhappy about a new spending bill that Congress passed ahead of a government shutdown deadline. Trump had threatened to veto it but ultimately signed the $1.3 trillion measure.

    (Published Friday, March 23, 2018)

    Nunes said in a statement Thursday night he was angry the review sidelined him for eight months and said it was prompted by partisan criticism. He also said he wanted the panel to release its transcripts of its interviews with him.

    Two watchdog groups, Democracy 21 and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, had requested the inquiry into whether Nunes disclosed classified information he learned from intelligence reports. At a news conference in March after the trip to the White House, Nunes had said that communications involving Trump associates had been swept up by U.S. spy agencies and, he suggested, mishandled by the Obama administration.

    He said then that he had met with a secret source at the White House to review material and then briefed the president. Watchdog groups said Nunes had apparently violated House rules by publicly disclosing the existence of a foreign surveillance warrant.

    Nunes did not say in Thursday's statement if he would retake control of the House Russia investigation. A Nunes spokesman did not immediately return a request for comment on that Thursday evening.

    The announcement comes as the House panel has stepped up its pace of interviews in the probe, meeting with dozens of important witnesses as they eye a finish next year.

    On Wednesday the committee interviewed Donald Trump Jr., Trump's oldest son, about a 2016 meeting he and other campaign officials held with Russians, among other issues. On Thursday, one person familiar with the investigation said House investigators asked Trump Jr. about a series of emails between some participants at the meeting after it occurred. The source spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

    Trump Says DOJ Will Ban Bump Stocks

    [NATL] Trump Says DOJ Will Ban Bump Stocks

    President Donald Trump said in a March 23 tweet that the Department of Justice will ban bump stocks.

    (Published Friday, March 23, 2018)

    CNN reported that Rob Goldstone, a publicist representing a Moscow-based family who had partnered with the Trump Organization on the 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Russia, wrote a follow-up email to Trump social media director and confidant Dan Scavino following the June 2016 meeting. CNN reported that none of the newly disclosed emails were sent directly to Trump Jr., who has said there was no follow-up to the meeting.

    The Trump Tower meeting is a matter of keen interest to special counsel Robert Mueller, who is also investigating the meddling. Trump Jr. and Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law, attended the meeting with several Russian operatives under the impression that they might receive damaging information about the Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton. Goldstone helped set up the meeting.

    Another email sent June 14, 2016, from Goldstone to one of the participants in the meeting, Ike Kaveladze, included a screenshot of a CNN story about Russia being suspected in a hack of Democratic National Committee electronic files. The email said the story "seems eerily weird based on our Trump meeting last week with the Russian lawyers, etc."

    It is unclear what is meant by the email, which was read to The Associated Press. Kaveladze was at the meeting as a representative of the same Moscow-based family that Goldstone was representing.

    Scott Balber, a lawyer for Kaveladze, said: "We have no idea what it's a reference to. It's completely out of the blue. Ike thought it was bizarre because it had nothing to do with what was discussed at the meeting the week before."


    McMaster to Resign From Trump Administration

    [NATL] McMaster to Resign From Trump Administration

    President Donald Trump’s national security adviser H.R. McMaster will resign and be replaced by John Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Trump made the staffing announcement in a tweet on March 22.

    (Published Thursday, March 22, 2018)

    Associated Press writer Eric Tucker contributed to this report.