Police: Estranged Wife Kills Self After Shooting Irving Officer - NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Police: Estranged Wife Kills Self After Shooting Irving Officer

Officer conscious and talking while being rushed to the hospital



    Irving Officer Recovers After Wife Shoots Him, Kills Herself

    Officer Brandon Spencer was shot twice at his home in Mansfield and is recovering. His wife, divorce lawyer Tiffany Spencer, was later found dead from what police say was an apparent suicide. (Published Wednesday, July 10, 2013)

    Investigators say an Irving, Tex., police officer was shot twice by his estranged wife before she committed suicide Tuesday evening.

    Irving police said officer Brandon Spencer was shot at least twice while at his home on Retta-Mansfield Road, in Mansfield, at about 9:06 p.m. Tuesday.  

    Spencer's wife, Tiffany, allegedly shot the off-duty officer and left the scene in a vehicle that was discovered a short time later by Johnson County Sheriff's Deputies in a rural driveway.

    Tiffany Spencer was found dead in the vehicle when deputies arrived.

    Investigators said she had the supplies she needed to end her own life.  Deputies said she rigged a hose from the car’s exhaust and took some pills.

    According to her website, Tiffany Spencer worked as a lawyer that specialized in family law, including what the site described as "collaborative divorce."

    In a 2010 blog post attributed to Tiffany Spencer, she describes herself as a divorce lawyer that is "pro-marriage."

    "If you want to save your marriage, I can help get you the resources to make that happen. If you want to end your marriage, I can help make that happen to [sic]," Spencer wrote.

    Detectives told NBC 5 that it appears she planned out the attempted murder-suicide.

    Deputies said the wounded officer ran to a neighbors for help.  He was conscious and talking as paramedics rushed him to the hospital.

    Irving police said Brandon Spencer is an 18-year veteran of the force and is currently assigned to the Investigative Services Bureau.

    The Tarrant County Sheriff's Department is the lead investigative agency on the case, according to a press release sent by the Irving Police Department.