Con Ed Pays Nearly 90 Victims Following East Harlem Explosion - NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Con Ed Pays Nearly 90 Victims Following East Harlem Explosion

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Investigators Gather Evidence at East Harlem Explosion Site

    Investigators continue to dig out the ruins of two buildings demolished in last week's deadly gas explosion, and on Thursday may have pulled some big keys to the investigation out of the ruins. Michael George reports. (Published Thursday, March 20, 2014)

    Con Edison has made compensation payments to nearly 90 survivors and residents displaced by the deadly explosion last week in East Harlem.

    The payments came a day after federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two apartment buildings that were leveled, according to The Wall Street Journal.

    Eight people were killed and more than 60 people were injured. The cause of the blast has not been determined.

    Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says the company made 87 payments to people who were injured or lost their homes. He declined to provide the average amount paid for each victim.

    He says the payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.