The Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Robert McDonald, apologized again Tuesday for saying he once served in the Special Forces.
"In an attempt to connect with that veteran to make him feel comfortable, I incorrectly stated that I too had been in Special Forces," McDonald said outside the Department of Veterans Affairs, NBC News reports.
"That was wrong and I have no excuse."
McDonald made the claim while speaking to a homeless man during a segment that aired last month on "CBS Evening News."
In a statement released by the VA, McDonald said: “I asked the man where he had served in the military. He responded that he had served in special forces. I incorrectly stated that I had been in special forces. That was inaccurate and I apologize to anyone that was offended by my misstatement."
McDonald recently visited San Diego where the agency is spending $11.3 million to hire more medical staff and increase facility space to handle the large number of military personnel - both retired and active - that call the city home.
McDonald toured the Veterans Affairs of San Diego in September 2014.
President Barack Obama chose the former Procter & Gamble CEO to take over the scandal-plagued VA last year, and McDonald took office last July.