Three People Severely Burned by Sterno Lantern

Helicopter requested to transport one patient to hospital

Three people suffered major burns after a decorative lamp fell on them at a Del Mar home Wednesday night, authorities said.

The Rancho Santa Fe Fire Department was called to the residence near 24th St. at about 7:30 p.m., according the a department spokesperson.

Witnesses initially said there was an explosion near the house which caused the flames to reach several people nearby.

Fire authorities later determined a decorative sterno-style lamp dropped on the three people, apparently dousing them in gasoline and flames.

At least three people suffered second and third degree burns. The most critical patient was transported via helicopter to the UCSD medical center. The helicopter landed at the Winston School on 9th St.

The other two patients were transported via ambulance to UCSD Medical Center.

Del Mar Fire Department authorities earlier reported the fire originated in a fire pit at the residence. They later determined the fire came from the lamp.

 Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)

Contact Us