Get your pet ready for work Friday, because it's Take Your Dog to Work Day.
The annual event was started in 1999 to celebrate man's best friend and to encourage adoptions from humane societies, animal shelters and rescue clubs.
The Honest Kitchen, a San Diego-based line of all-natural, human-grade pet foods, is hosting a local contest to help San Diego businesses celebrate this event. The company is looking for the top 10 dog friendly offices in the city. The winning company's pooches will win a special lunchtime delivery of The Honest Kitchen food and gourmet treats.
"Take Your Dog to Work Day is a fun and unique way for pet parents to bond with their furry best friends while supporting a good cause, in this case animal adoption," said Lucy Postins, founder and president of The Honest Kitchen. "At The Honest Kitchen, everyday is Take Your Dog to Work Day, so we're excited to see how other local companies are celebrating this year."
Here are some tips from Postins for keeping your dog in line at work:
- Bring leashes, cages (if necessary), toys and lots of treats!
- Don't allow the dogs to just roam around the office
- Bring their own bed or blanket to make the dog feel at home
- Make sure they take enough potty breaks so you aren't stuck with an accident
- Be sensitive to co-workers
If you are interested in becoming more involved , visit the Take Your Dog to Work Day Web site.